James: Introduction

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I have been in a Bible study on the book of James. I've been taking notes so that I can review them here and  have lasting reference.  The Bible study is lead by my pastor, so I have more detailed information than I might normally have for myself. However, I am using my notes as a reference for these entries, so if I have anything wrong, please feel free to correct me.

    Beginning with some background and history of the book of James. James was not in the Muratorian fragment (the books which were originally on a fragment found to be part of the Bible and thus canon) and didn't wasn't officially accepted until much later at the council of Trent. James is one of the deuterocanonical books that is now accepted as canon in both the Protestant and Catholic Bibles. One of the reasons for this (it is believed) is that the book James appears to be written for Jews, with its emphasis on good works in addition to faith. It was this emphasis that turned off Martin Luther; in fact he called James an "Epistle of Straw." Luther actually made references that essentially, the book of James was fine for other people, but not good enough for him. The lack of references to Jesus, the Resurrection, and the Holy Spirit is another reason for the late acceptance of James into the Bible.
    The book of James, while obviously written by James, could be written by any number of James'. There are roughly five real contenders (it could also have been an anonymous Jew). They are: the father of the "other" Judas, the son of Alphious, James the Younger, the son of Zebidee or James, the brother of Jesus. It is generally agreed (but yet highly debated) that James the brother of Jesus wrote this book. Arguments against James the brother of Jesus are that the Greek is too good for someone who should have spoken Aramaic.
    Assuming it is the brother of Jesus, I have some basic information written down. I forgot to note whether this is speculative information or if it is verified fact. If you know, please tell me! He didn't believe in Christ's divinity during Christ's lifetime and converted some time around the Pentecost. He was a praying man, also known as James the Just, and died a martyr in Jerusalem in 62 AD; death by stoning.

EDIT: When I turned over my page of notes, I realized I had forgotten to write down some other "Intro" type notes.

The book of James was written in approximately 50 AD. James wrote the book because he felt that Christians were behaving in "unChristian" ways. My pastor said it could be considered a "Practical Guide to Christian Life and Conduct." The tone is authoritative, like a preacher giving a sermon; a very "do this" sort of message. You get the impression though, that he's not trying to be bossy, but only help Christians to grow spiritually by applying the lessons Christ taught to their daily lives.

Themes in this book include Rejoice in Trials, Wisdom, Speech to Strengthen, Status of the Rich & Poor, and Prayer. 

0 comments:

 
A Bible Study - by Templates para novo blogger